Homecoming pep rally rocks Hall of Governors

Ven Sherrod for GSU

Hazel Crest High School Band fills the Hall of Governors with music

Governors State University celebrated Day 4 of homecoming week with a pep rally that filled the Hall of Governors with music, cheers and high-flying gymnasts. Students were encouraged to show their Jaguar spirit by wearing black and orange and GSU attire.

The event was hosted by GSU’s coordinator of Student Clubs and Organizations Christopher McBride, with live music from DJ Swerve. Students, faculty and staff gathered around to meet GSU athletes, watch live performances and participate in games and activities.

The rally opened with a live performance by Hazel Crest High School’s marching band. The students decked out in blue flooded into the hall playing their instruments and opening the show.

The second performance was led by GSU’s Dance Company, raising the energy for the crowd to welcome our student athletes. Both the men’s and women’s Jaguar sports including basketball, soccer, volleyball, and golf hyped the crowd with their entrances and school pride.

Visiting at GSU this year was the America’s Got Talent finalists, The Chicago Boyz Acrobatic Team. A professional gymnastics group of talented young men from Chicago. The group performed tricks, flips, and stunts for the GSU crowd, and they had student volunteers to help with their performance.

Shortly after the acrobats show, the GSU Student Clubs participated in a head-to-head in a match of tug of war, with the Black Student Union Club taking the victory.

GSU’s President, Dr. Cheryl Green greeted the students and gave her closing remarks on this year’s event. “Academia is not just inside the classroom but what you do outside of the class room as well.”

Dr. Green thanked the students for showing their pride and encouraged them to be active in their University.

DJ Swerve continued the party afterwards with music for the students as they ate and socialized with one another after the performances. A victory for all Jaguars in this year’s homecoming pep rally.