Global Issues in the Classroom

Photograph of a presentation provided by Professor Shahid

Professor Shahid

Professor Shahid

Dana Solatka, Editor-In-Chief

Professor Aslam (Sam) Shahid uses Global Issues in the Classroom to do extra credit project with his Introduction to Computer Technology (CPSC-2005) students. “Today, we have Global Issues dealing with Global Warming Crisis, Global Food Crisis, Global Water Crisis and Global Energy Crisis. According to the United Nation (UN), we have 7.5 billion plus human being living on planet Earth. We have limited resources to move forward. We do have a problem and we must look for a feasible, renewable and sustainable solution for our planet Earth. In my opinion, there is nothing in our solar system that can match planet Earth with human being necessity such as gravity, water, food, etc.” Professor Shahid says.

Space and Aviation technology plays a major role in gathering data and information for Global Issues. We rigorously use space and aviation technology with complex sensors, various cameras, satellites, etc. to solve problems in Global Warming Crisis, Global Food Crisis, Global Water Crisis and Global Energy Crisis.

For years, Professor Shahid have been giving students extra credit project dealing with issues that “affect all of us on Earth” such as Global Warming, Global Food Supply and Global Water Supply. Each project consists of 3 components: Critical Thinking, Technology Integration and Writing Across The Curriculum. A rubric is used to assess for performance measurement. Students analyze current global issues using qualitative and quantitative methods.

Shahid elaborated on the projects a bit more. “Our contemporary society is very dependent on diverse computer technology application. We do technology integration such as MS Word for writing across the curriculum on global warming, etc. We use MS Excel to do qualitative and quantitative analysis of data. We use MS PowerPoint for presentation of data and information. We do critical thinking in the classroom. Most of all, students are infused to seek STEM related education and career”. He continued, “Students are aware of challenging problems (ex: global warming, energy crisis, water crisis and food crisis) we are facing as global citizens and we must look for a solution as a global citizen and GSU student. Internet or Cyberspace indiscriminately crosses borders and boundaries worldwide. Internet affect all of us since we share data and information with respect to privacy and security”. He mentioned a recent global issues project could be Hurricane Maria and its impact on Puerto Rico, Hurricane Harvey in Texas, and Hurricane Irma in Florida.

“We used data and information from various online resources such as National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Geographic (NAT GEO), Carbon Monitoring For Action (CARMA), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), etc. Of course, students have complete 100% freedom to explore and discover other credible online resources. My next extra credit project is in the Global Energy Supply.” Professor Shahid says. He continued, “[t]hese sources have excellent reputation and credibility in terms of data and information under public domain”. Projects like these can be utilized in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education. Professor Shahid teaches mathematics, computer science, information technology, information security and business at Governors State University, Lewis University and City Colleges of Chicago.