Leadership Development at GSU

Flyer for the Student Activities Council, formerly known as the Program Council.

Konya Sledge

Konya Sledge

Devyn Forquer, Newspaper Practicum

Governors State University is home to many leadership development programs and workshops for students.

With endless programs available, students learn valuable skills to further their desire to become a better leader and make an impact on, not just the university, but their community.

A few of those programs include the Emerging Leaders Program, Men’s Leadership Summit, Student Leadership Institute, and S.H.E.R.O. Women’s Leadership Summit.

The Emerging Leaders Program is geared towards freshman and sophomore students.  This workshop delves into the student’s personal development skills that pave the road for the type of leader they intend to be.  Registration for this program ends October 13th.

The Men’s Leadership Summit is for students who identify as male and addresses the necessities of being a man in the leadership community and in a global environment.  The workshop is November 17th; To register, contact Intercultural Student Affairs.

The Student Leadership Institute is for sophomore, junior, and senior students.  This workshop focuses on students who are seeking basic leadership development skills that will help add to their personal development and maximize their leadership abilities.  This workshop is offered annually in the spring.  Registration applications are due by November 3rd.

S.H.E.R.O. Women’s Leadership Summit is for all students, alumni, and members of the community.  S.H.E.R.O. means “Sharing Her story of Empowerment, Resilience, and Opportunity and is open to anyone who wishes to learn more about women’s involvement in leadership.  The summit is on March 30th and registration will open in the spring.

While these workshops are excellent opportunities for growth, there are also Student Governance Programs such as the Student Senate, Community Service Council, and the GSU Program Council.

Konya Sledge

For more information regarding these leadership programs and student governance opportunities, visit www.govst.edu/leadership.