Study Abroad Fair

A Vendor at the Fall 2017 Study Abroad Fair

Dana Solatka

Dana Solatka

Dana Solatka, Editor-In-Chief

Office of International Services hosted a Study Abroad Fair on September 26th, 2017. Compared to last years’ fairs, this one feels smaller. But the quality of the programs and program presenters increased. There were tables promoting GSU’s in-house study abroads and independent studies abroad through companies International Studies Abroad (ISA), Athena, Academic Programs International (API), USAC, and CAPA The Global Education Network.

On the end of independent programs, one could easily get stacks of course catalogs from the fair. However, students might want to consider studying with Athena or ISA. Governors State recently paired with both. Athena offers a $500 grant for semester programs and a $200 grant for programs lasting at least three weeks in the winter or summer. ISA offers a $200 tuition discount to students.

Notably, GSU’s department of Education and Counseling is planning a trip to Slovenia. The trip is lead by Doctor Lorelle and Doctor Hisrich. Study abroad coordinator Amy Schoenberg elaborated on GSU’s future faculty-lead study abroad plans. “In the Spring the Heath Administration Department is taking a group to Buenos Aires, Argentina to study the healthcare system and compare it to that of the U.S. The Health Administration Department also plans to bring a group of students to China this summer to compare healthcare systems as well. In the summer we have a sketchbook course travelling throughout Spain the summer, Human Development in Slovenia, the Honors Seminar in Rome, Italy and the College of Business will study the culture and business of Eastern Europe. They will visit Prague, Budapest and Bratislava and this is the final year of their grant to help subsidize the cost for students. Deadlines and info session are approaching. If interested, please visit the GSU website on Study Abroad or contact the Study Abroad Coordinator Amy Schoenberg at [email protected]”. For the anxious student, Schoenberg says “[i]f students have concerns about travelling, please know that GSU has your health and safety as a priority”.

Dana Solatka
Study Abroad Table

If students are unsure they want to study abroad or if a program did not catch their eye, another study abroad fair will be held the spring semester.