Interactive Art Exhibit: “The Real World”

Maryam Abuissa, Contributing Writer

Maryam Abuissa
Photo of the Interactive Art Exhibit

Throughout the Fall semester, the students of GSU’s Performance Art class are displaying weekly interactive art installations in the Library’s Skylight Gallery.   

The second of these interactive exhibits is currently being displayed. Created by Simone Thomas, the theme of this piece explores diversity. Students are encouraged to make their own contributions to her artwork by “adding to the pattern”. With printed out images and the provided materials, students may add their own shapes to the geometric pattern. Simone tells a message through this piece, that through the differences in people, we can create a diverse and unified community. The exhibit’s is entitled “The Real World”, and was displayed until Friday, November 3rd.

Simone’s artist statement on the piece is as follows.

 “The world is made up of different cultures and ethnicities. This work focuses on diversity, encouraging people to interact with others different from them, to recognize the importance of accepting others, and to learn from others’ differences. This is, after all, what makes the world go round. Isn’t it?”

Maryam Abuissa
Photo of the Interactive Art Echibit

The director of the Visual Arts Gallery had this to say.

“I’m happy when any of the art spaces on campus, including the Skylight Gallery, are used to connect with curriculum in the classrooms and academic interests from all areas of study. We are living in the midst of art and understand the importance of a Liberal Arts Education for the success of our students,” Jeff Stevenson, Director of Visual Arts Gallery.

Students are very much encouraged to visit the Skylight Gallery in the Library and take part in the Performance Art student’s works. There will be more new exhibits every week, so check in frequently to see what’s new, and to support the hardworking and artistic students of Governors State.

Maryam Abuissa
Photo of the Interactive Art Exhibit