Not on Our Campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

Not on Our Campus

Not on Our Campus table

Not on Our Campus table

Dana Solatka

Not on Our Campus table

Dana Solatka

Dana Solatka

Not on Our Campus table

Melanie Fitch, Staff Writer

There is a display table and information board set up in the lobby. The Introduction to Social Work Class has been working on a project to discourage sexual assault from happening on and off campus, as well as inform the student body about the importance of respecting boundaries and understanding the meaning of consent. The table is covered with information for people who have been assaulted or know someone who has been. There are pamphlets from the YWCA and black and orange bows to pin on the board and show solidarity with survivors of abuse. #GSUtoo is written across the top and “Not on Our Campus”.  I see by the number of ribbons that we are not the only ones on campus that feel the need to say something about this. What I don’t see, however, is any information for the people who are doing the assaulting.

Dana Solatka
Not on Our Campus table

You would think it was simple. You ask to borrow my book, I give consent, and you take it. If I say no, you go find a book somewhere else. Most people understand that, and even if it isn’t respected, it doesn’t have to be explained. People usually learn that it’s best to respect other people’s things in nursery school or kindergarten but for some reason there are those who become adults and want to act like they’re still two when it comes to sex. That sounds crazy, when I play it back in my head, but it’s even crazier when they do it. As I walk along the august halls of GSU, I hear whispers amongst the student body that not all is as secure as it should be on our campus. I personally don’t believe this could be true. If there were any reason for the students of GSU to believe that there was a possibly dangerous person on campus, I just believe that we would be notified and that person or those people would be removed from campus. However, I made a few inquiries just to see where GSU ranked on the scale of responsiveness. To put it mildly, I was not encouraged. The school website doesn’t have an easy way to get information or assistance if you have been victimized. There are not many places where information is clearly visible to see and some of the inquiries that classmates made were met with confusion by volunteers and staff of offices that we thought would at least be able to steer us in the right direction.

There is obviously much that needs to be done. In my view, the responsibility for handling this type of thing belongs to the school. However, we as students can assist in preventing any type of crime from happening by being proactive. Be observant. It’s not wrong to ask if someone is OK. Educate yourself about what sexual assault actually is so that you don’t find yourself in a crazy situation that could have been avoided. Finally, support educational sessions regarding sexual assault and abuse. They are for your protection and those of your peer. Campus should be a place for all people to come and feel safe as they work to educate themselves and improve their lives. Let’s all make sure that GSU is meeting that mark.

For any immediate emergency, dial 911. Alternative numbers for urgent assistance are listed below.

GSU Police- (708) 534-4900

Rape Crisis Hotlines operate 24/7:

Chicago 888-293-2080

South Suburban 708-748-5670

West Suburban 630-9713927