Gender Support Group

Dana Solatka, Editor-In-Chief

GSU recently founded a Support Group for transgender, non-binary, and questioning individuals. “This support group started for a few reasons,” MA and Licensed Professional Counselor support group founder Ethan Swift said, “Throughout my interactions with students and staff on campus, I was able to identify a need for such a space for transgender, non-binary, and gender questioning students and staff”. He continued, “Having a transgender identity puts us more at risk for life struggles across the board. My passion and love for my community helped me to attend to these needs and put them into action. Thanks to the support of everyone at the health and wellness center, GNSX, and various faculty and staff members, the Counseling Center and I were able to begin the group”.

He went on to emphasize the importance of a support group as opposed to group therapy “We chose a group specific to gender identity rather than a broader LGBT group because of the distinct differences of needs and experiences between minorities of gender identity and minorities of sexual orientation”. He continued, “although the transgender population seems small, we are quickly becoming more and more visible in our society and at GSU”.

Student Counseling
Trans umbrella graphic

“We chose a group specific to gender identity rather than a broader LGBT group because of the distinct differences of needs and experiences between minorities of gender identity and minorities of sexual orientation,” Swift added, “Although the transgender population seems small, we are quickly becoming more and more visible in our society and at GSU. Despite this, my community lacks resources”. He hopes to provide enough support and resources to “declare GSU more resourceful for the transgender community”.

Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to join. Please let it be known participants are required to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to participate. “Allies are welcome to the group especially when accompanied by a transgender, non-binary, or gender questioning loved one,” Swift says. “It is important for allies to speak out against instances of transphobia and cissexism when they feel safe to do so. Above all, love us like you would anyone else”.

“The T in LGBT is not silent,” Swift says. “The group hopes to not only provide a space for those who attend but to declare GSU more resourceful for the transgender community”.

The group meets every Wednesday at 2pm in D34090. If you are interested, contact Ethan Swift at [email protected]