GSU switches all classes to online mode for spring term; graduation ceremony postponed

GSU+eases+some+mask+rules.+

Staff Photo

GSU eases some mask rules.

GSU’s President Elaine Maimon issued a memo on March 18 addressing COVID-19 pandemic concerns. 

The key points of Dr. Maimon’s message were: 

1. All classes are to be hosted online for the remainder of the semester starting March 23. 
  2. The cafe is open under limited hours (9 am to 7:30 pm on Monday through Thursday, 9 am 5 pm on Friday, and 10:30 am to 3 pm on Saturday. There are no Sunday hours). 
  3. During this time, the cafe will only offer grab-and-go meals with no seated dining. 
Randy Weissman
Exterior of GSU.

According to the notice, “Library access will be restricted to GSU staff, students, and faculty who are in the library for study or work purposes, and all present in the library must observe personal distancing protocols as recommended by the CDC.” The library’s physical location will be open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 5 pm with virtual assistance being offered Monday through Thursday from 12 pm to 7 pm. 

Randy Weissman
Note the lack of seating in the cafe to promote social distancing.

The Center for Performing Arts, Fitness Center, Family Development Center, and University Art Gallery are all closed until further notice.  

A previous notice issued on March 13 described the situation for students living on campus: “Prairie Place remains open under spring break extension through March 22, 2020, and then under regular circumstances for international, out-of-state, and local students who choose to remain in the residence. We will accommodate on a case-by-case basis those students who want the option of studying remotely from home.” It is not clear if Dr. Maimon’s latest memo changes the status of Prairie Place and its residents. 

On March 19, Dr. Maimon sent out another notice letting students know the commencement ceremony will be postponed. She concluded her memo with a hopeful quote: “We often say that a university education prepares students for a changing world. We are now being put to the test. GSU students are a determined and courageous group. Together we will prevail over the unique challenges before us.” 

The full memo and all future updates can be read at https://www.govst.edu/COVID-19/. 

Randy Weissman
The Main Entrance to the school is usually bustling with people and activities, but now the area is hauntingly empty.

We here at The Phoenix are dedicated to our job as student news workers. Despite the closings on campus, we are still working our hardest to bring quality news to our website. We thank our readers for their current and continuing support. 

Editor’s Note: As of March 19, Commencement Ceremony and Commencement week activities are postponed until further notice.