GSU Will Abide by Pritzker’s Extended Stay-at-Home Order

Governor J.B. Pritzker has extended the Stay at Home Order until April 30, and GSU President Elaine Maimon addressed the executive order in a school-wide memo sent out on March 31. She wrote: 

In his address, Governor Pritzker said many of the state’s 12.6 million residents have complied with the stay at home order and practiced responsible social distancing. However, the Governor extended the order as infection rates accelerate.

The executive order requires residents to remain home with specific exceptions for businesses that provide essential services, including colleges and universities, banks, convenience stores, pharmacies, grocery stores, laundromats, and hardware stores.

She stated GSU will comply with Gov. Pritzker’s order. “In compliance, Governors State University will continue restricting access to campus. We expect all employees, except those whose presence is essential to minimal campus operations, to stay at home,” she wrote. 

Classes for the Spring 2020 semester are still to be held exclusively online with Summer 2020 courses to be delivered online according to a memo sent out April 7. 

Students who must visit campus are to practice proper social distancing (stand at least six feet apart from individuals) and comply with all other campus policies as Dr. Maimon and the student handbook state.